Formtech Closed for Independence Day
Formtech Enterprises will be closed on Monday, July 3 and Tuesday, July 4, 2017 to observe the Independence Day holiday. All locations will reopen at the start of business on Wednesday, July 5, 2017. If you have questions about this schedule, please contact your sales or customer service representative or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a safe and happy Fourth of July!
Happy Maintenance Technician Day!
May 24 is known as Aviation Maintenance Technician Day, which is a holiday to celebrate those in maintenance professions in the aviation field.
Charles Edward Taylor worked for Orville and Wilbur Wright in the early 1900s, when the Wrights were experimenting with human flight. Taylor, previously a machinist, built a 12 horsepower engine that allowed the Wrights to make human flight possible! After the first flight, Taylor continued to work with the Wright brothers, designing aircraft engines, and eventually becoming the airport manager of the first ever airport, which was established by the Wright brothers. Later in his career, Taylor helped another young pilot, Cal Rodgers, complete the first flight across the United States in less than 30 days.
At Formtech, our specialty is manufacturing custom plastic extruded profiles, not improving flight. But, we still would like to take the opportunity to honor our own maintenance technicians. These individuals have responsibility for ensuring that our manufacturing equipment is in safe and operable condition. We appreciate the efforts of our team, who sometimes receive late night calls if there is an issue, such as an equipment malfunction or power outage, that affects our equipment. Their knowledge, skills, flexibility, and willingness to help are critical to the success of our production teams.
We would also like to introduce one of the newer members of our team, Sam Whitmer, who is the Maintenance Technician for our Fairview, Pennsylvania plant. Sam joined the Formtech Enterprises in late 2016, and brought over 12 years of experience in various maintenance positions with him. Sam’s experience includes electrical and mechanical maintenance, welding, fabricating, plumbing and building maintenance, preventative maintenance, and more. We’re excited to have Sam as part of the Formtech team!
Thank you to all those who ensure that Formtech’s equipment and buildings are maintained properly and Happy Maintenance Technician Day – Aviation or otherwise! – to all maintenance technicians! We appreciate all that you do!
Memorial Day Shutdown – May 2017
All locations of Formtech Enterprises will be closed on Monday, May 29, 2017 in observance of the Memorial Day holiday. Our facilities will reopen at the start of business on Tuesday, May 30, 2017. We will contact you if this shutdown will cause any issues with supplying your orders. However, if you have any questions about the shutdown, please contact sales or your customer service representative.
Thank you to all those whose who currently or who have served in our military and to all the family members who have supported them. We remember those who have lost their lives fighting for our country. We wish all of you a safe and happy holiday weekend.
Honoring our Off-Shift Workers
The second Wednesday of every May is known as Third Shift Workers’ Day. Oftentimes, when this day is remembered, it’s used to celebrate those with more visible third-shift positions, such as nurses, fire-fighters, and other emergency responders. But, do you know that manufacturing companies often have third shift work as well?
Plastic extrusion is a continuous process, meaning that manufacturing occurs twenty four hours per day. As a result, Formtech has a team of workers who work off-shift hours. As a result, and in honor of this holiday, we would like to thank not only our third-shift workers, but all of our various off-shift workers. Your dedication and hard work on the off shifts is noticed and appreciated. Thank you for all that you do!
Custom Profile Extrusion – A Green Alternative Product
Saturday, April 21st is Earth Day, a celebration around the world to raise awareness about what we as individuals can do to sustain and improve this valuable planet for our children, and our children’s children. This same thought process holds true for businesses, and Formtech Enterprises works very hard to be part of a greener manufacturing environment. Custom plastic extrusion is a pretty green process that does not require mixing of chemicals and solvents during the extrusion process. We take this a step further.
Preserving and protecting our precious earth is important to Formtech…because quite simply it is just the right thing to do. Saving material, energy and resources is part of our culture, and we strive in every aspect of the business to reuse, reduce and recycle during the plastic extrusion process. Some examples of our efforts include the following:
- We utilize state of the art Wire Electronic Discharge Machining (Wire EDM) as part of the process during extrusion tool and vacuum sizing construction in our tool shop. The brass wire used to burn the custom shape in an extrusion tool and sizing can only be used once by this equipment. We collect and recycle this brass instead of sending it to a landfill.
- Aluminum and steel scrap from the process of constructing extrusion tooling for plastic extruded profiles are collected and recycled.
- Warehouse lighting has been upgraded to utilize LED lighting for maximum efficiency, with motion sensors that activate only when there is movement in the area.
- Lighting in the plastic extrusion and fabrication & assembly areas of the plant has been upgraded to LED lighting for maximum efficiency.
- Scrap cardboard and other packaging materials from the extrusion department are collected and recycled.
- We reuse wood pallets whenever possible, and any damaged skids are picked up by local recyclers for repair and reuse.
- Formtech is a net consumer of recycled plastic for our custom and proprietary extrusion businesses. Of course, we process any scrap material that results from the extrusion process, but in addition we buy significant amounts of recycled materials from others for our consumption. This is part of our overall business strategy; it is who we are.
- We receive and send electronic purchase orders invoicing and other business related communications with supplier partners and customers whenever possible.
Plastics are amazing materials, and quite literally have changed our lives. Look around on Earth Day and be aware of plastic extrusions, injection molded and blow molded products that are in use in your everyday lives. These include low cost high performance PVC used for doors, windows, siding, vinyl seawalls (bulkheads) and water hoses, to advanced engineered plastic materials like Polycarbonate that you will find in lighting, computer equipment, headlight lenses and a variety of other applications. Formtech even manufactures plastic extrusions from a mixture of plastic and wood fiber that would otherwise make it to a landfill to create custom extruded profiles from wood plastic composite (WPC) material.
As you look to your supplier partners to support your sustainability efforts, please know Formtech Enterprises shares your commitment to a sustainable environment. It is the right thing to do. We also have children, grand-children and great-grand-children to protect!