Formtech has the ability to produce extrusion tooling in its in-house tool room in Fairview, Pennsylvania. With EDM technology, Formtech can produce high quality tooling. The in-house location also allows Formtech to complete new tooling developments more quickly than outsourcing projects and provides us with flexibility for making tooling modifications. Formtech also has a global network of world-class tooling vendors for additional tooling support.
Formtech utilizes advanced technical equipment to ensure that the custom profiles we produce meet our customers’ standards. For instance:
- Color spectrophotometers are used to ensure that the color of the profile meets the standard and acceptable tolerances defined by our customers.
Gloss meters are used to check the gloss level of parts where this property is critical.
- Gages are built and used to ensure your custom profile extrusion functions properly with mating parts.
10X comparators are used to more closely analyze the shape and critical dimensions of a profile.
- Impact testers are used to ensure that the profile will function properly where impact is a concern.
- An accelerated weathering unit is used to determine whether how a product will weather after years of UV and weathering exposure.
New Product Development Process
During the new product development process, the following steps are taken to ensure that the end product meets or exceeds our customer needs:
- Our customers can work directly with our technical staff to ensure that the product we will produce will meet our customers needs. Any clarifying questions are addressed and a drawing of the product is finalized by both parties to ensure that the expectations of both parties are correct.
- Tooling is produced within the quoted lead-time and provided to the product development team for sample production.
- The Product Development team tunes the tooling and records the process needed to ensure that parts are produced within all customer specifications. The team members document their steps so that production can be trained and will be successful after the tool is developed.
- After samples are produced, our quality team will submit a completed PPAP report (production part approval process) to ensure that the product and process designed will work successfully for our customer. Complete dimensional data as well as appearance data (including color and gloss readings) are provided to our customers so that you can analyze and review the data before approving the product. Any additional submittal documentation requested by the customer is also completed and submitted.
Our quality team will follow up with our customers to ensure that expectations were met. Our customers return the signed PPAP. The product development team will finalize their process control information and will train production on the new development. With engineering staffs in both facilities, engineering is always available to assist production with any questions during the production process.